Thursday, May 15, 2014

Suomi - Land of the midnight sun

It's four in the morning and the sun is up and construction work is underway outside our hotel in Helsinki.Somehow it is not as annoying in this quaint city. What an ordeal of a trip! Prepared this travel meticulously, and everything that could go wrong, did go wrong (beyond our control of course). Kate and I practically checked in the group ourselves at the United (don't fly them) counter in Pittsburgh after our information failed to show up in the computer and ticketing clerks were too busy with other distressed customers. Then there was the three hour delay at the airport. Spoke to God on the tarmac, and said to him that if this trip was not meant to be, please, this is the time to show it, please spare us the anguish. Then the plane pulled off from the terminal...
I'll spare you the other details, which could only be enjoyed around a fireside chat years from now. But I think if there is an important outcome from these otherwise torrid airline and airport experiences so far, is that it has brought us closer. What a wonderful bunch of students who stuck it out and have been patient and good-natured about the whole thing. As for me and Kate who rarely interact on campus due to the difference in program and office area, I think we too have struck up a good and unforgetable relationship as colleagues because of this trip so far.

Anyway, took a walk with some students yesterday evening, and found the city and its people really pleasant. On the way back to my hotel room from a quick outing to the ATM machine (affectionately called Otto), met a couple of Helsinkiers walking their dogs and briefly chatted with them about trivial things. They were so friendly and approachable, and were impressed when told that we were bringing a group of students from the US to see for ourselves their long heralded education system.

One of the things I enjoy about going to a place I have never been before is the witnessing and experiencing of the things and places I've prepared so much for and have only heard about through books. After having stood in front of my Sociology of Education course and remembering the lecture pieces I gave about Finland's education system, I am now finally able to observe Finnish schools in action. Will keep you updated.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that traveling is a great way to get to know people, including your traveling companions. I especially enjoyed sitting outside on a patio last night, talking with three LRC students as we listened to a live band.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all of the setbacks I am moved (nearly to tears) to hear that everyone is finally in Finland.

    ReplyDelete